Thursday, April 30, 2009

Noah's Ark

April 30th, 2009
A coworker of my sister is having a baby boy, so Kensley asked me to make the shower cake. I think Noah's Ark is a really cute baby theme for a shower or a nursery, but it can become quite involved when it's a cake theme. I saw tons of cakes that were made into an ark with sculpted animals. I would love to make one sometime, but I knew this was not it. This is cake number three for the week and I still have to teach full time. Also if I made a fondant ark, I would have to charge more for the cake because of the amount of time it would require. In this instance, I felt that simplicity was more important. I loved this design because it looked like an embroidered quilt instead of a flat edible sticker.


In reality the cake didn't take a large amount of time. It is a 14-inch strawberry cake, so it does require a longer baking time. I had to make 2 1/2 batches of buttercream icing to cover and decorate the cake. Once I had all of my icing colored everything else fell into place. The one thing I did learn from this experience is that you can NEVER have enough decorating tips. I was using mainly round tips and I had to switch 2 or 3 tips between 7 bags.
Just for fun, I'll make an OCD confession: When piping the rainbow, I made sure I followed ROY G. BIV. I know, It's a sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I appreciate your input. Have a great day! Britney