Monday, June 15, 2009

Baby Blocks Blunder

June 15, 2009


My husband's coworker, Tara, is having a baby. She isn't finding out the sex of the child until delivery. So for her baby shower at work, I decided to use baby pastels. I saw some pictures of baby blocks cakes that I thought were really cute; so I thought I'd give it a try. I ran into a few problems while making the cake. 1. I only had 1 6inch square cake pan, so I had to back all 6 eight layers one at a time. 2. I didn't think to "size up" the blocks before adding my letters. After I had the letters on I realized the two bottom blocks were not the same size. 3. Since the finished cakes needed to be stacked, I wasn't sure how to finish it and send it to work with Jason. We tried to transport it stacked and the top block fell off. Luckily it fell backwards and only squished the front. We ended up separating the top from the bottom and Jason stacked it when it got it to work. This is just one of those live and learn lessons. Some cake designs will have to have "on site" set-up. So if I am not able to deliver the cake myself, I need to make sure that I pick a design that can be transported without setup. I just hope that Tara was not disappointed with her cake. My intentions were to make her shower special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I appreciate your input. Have a great day! Britney